Monday, April 18, 2011

Dudley Do Right

Growing up we used to sing this song about 'doing right'.

Do right till the stars fall
Do right till the last call
Do right when there's no else to stand by you.

Sounds great doesn't it?
And on some level it is.
But, I've become convinced that instead of 'doing right' perhaps I need to be more concerned about being right.

Being right with God is a far different thing than just doing right.

I could do lots of 'right' things and still not be right with Him. In fact I lived my life like that for a long time.
It didn't get me any closer to a correct relationship with Christ than a life of doing what I wanted.
In fact, in many ways it kept from Him. Once you realize you're never going to be 'right' enough then, well in my case anyway, you give up.
Trying so hard to do all the right things. Wear the proper clothes a good christian girl would, go to the right college a good christian girl would. The list could go and on. And it did.
Until I couldn't do right enough. So then I didn't do right at all for a season.
Yes, I was still a believer-a Christian-but was living in such defeat.

Now, don't get me wrong I'm not saying we should go out and live like what we want, not caring a thing for what others think and just doing whatever we please. I believe there are things as Christ followers that should set us apart from everyone else.
But, I am saying the older I get the more I think those lists have less to do with the outside of a person and much more to do with their hearts.

The Bible tells us that mans looks at the outside, but God looks at the heart.
And it's filled with stories about how looking outwardly got the people of God into trouble.

We can attempt to live prim and proper lives, but The One who sees my dark and shady heart even when I am doing 'right' on the outside is who I need to be concerned about pleasing.

I'm not saying it's easy. It's not. It is so much easier to make a list of rules, check them off one by and one and decide that I am 'doing right' and since I am 'doing right' then I must be right.

It's a much harder thing to examine my heart and see what is there.
Hypocrisy, racism, pride, envy, lust, deception, gossip, lying. That list could go on and on too.

So, I pray.

I pray, Lord wash me and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me a fit vessel to serve You for your purpose and agenda not my own.
Make me whole from the inside out. Make me less concerned about doing right and more concerned about being right with You, the Creator of Heaven and Earth, who looks right past my plastic smile and so-called goodness and sees the very heart of me.
Help me set aside my man made check list and instead be passionate about following YOU ALONE and not man.
And when it becomes easier, for a season, to follow man's rules instead of yours help my wandering heart to come running back to you.

2 comments:

Post a Comment